It is expected that climate change will push an additional 100 million people into poverty if worldwide efforts are not intensified. Not surprisingly, creating climate change resilience and mitigation are part and parcel of SNV's mission to alleviate poverty.
Our Clean Cooking & Heating and Off-grid Electricity approaches create social and health benefits for families, while reducing their dependency on polluting energy sources and reducing greenhouse gas emissions. Our Climate, Business & Landscapes approach balances economic benefits for farmers and businesses while increasing farmers' resilience to climate change, reducing their greenhouse gas emissions, protecting forest-lands and creating deforestation free supply chains.
Join our side-event at COP23: Transformational pathways towards universal energy access.
Tom Derksen, Managing Director Energy Sector, will attend COP23 in Bonn together with experts from the SNV Agriculture and Energy sectors. At the event, SNV also will host a side-event:
- Discover more about practical solutions to create energy transition pathways (including both electricity access and clean cooking), which link to policymaking and integrated energy planning models to achieve transformational change for SDG7, universal energy access;
- Explore different country perspectives regarding the use of energy change pathways in practice. SNV will present a selection of examples from practical experience in off-grid energy and cross-sectoral projects aiming for market transformation;
- Hear from PBL Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency, about their recent report on the technology and investment requirements needed to achieve universal access. The report “Towards universal electricity access in Sub-Saharan Africa - A quantitative analysis of technology and investment requirements” is available online.
Meet our panelists
- Roelof Buffinga, Head of Climate & Energy at the Netherlands Ministry for Foreign Affairs;
- Ram Prasad Dhital, Executive Director Alternative Energy Promotion Centre (AEPC) of the Ministry of Population and Environment in Nepal;
- Andries Hof, PhD, Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency (PBL) and SNV expert on Integrated Energy Planning and Practice.
When and where?
Read our blogs and updates about our work to create access to clean affordable energy:
- A blog by our colleague Rianne Teule on the need to create access to finance to improve access to energy;
- Stimulating off-grid solar PV markets: More Bright Lights for Benin as part of the Bright Lights for Benin project;
- Innovating for climate change resilience and mitigation: GCIC awards grants totaling US$124,000 as part of the Ghana Climate Innovation Centre project;
- Improving lives with biogas: Biogas – Transforming the lives of families in rural Ethiopia as part of the National Biogas Programme - Ethiopia;
- Creating access to electricity with pico-hydropower: Pico-hydropower brings electricity to people in Rwanda as part of the project Rwanda Pico Hydro Sector Development (DPHER);
- Results based financing mechanisms to stimulate the clean cookstoves market in Laos and Vietnam, as part of the Market Acceleration of Advanced Clean Cookstoves in the Greater Mekong Sub-region project;
- Learn more about our journey to introduce a next generation cookstove in Laos as part of this project;
Find out more about our Climate, Business & Landscapes approach:
- Launching a knowledge portal for palm oil farmers and providing training on best agricultural practices as part of our Berbak Green Prosperity Partnership to create deforestation free supply chains;
- Sharing knowledge at a South-South learning event as part of our Ensuring Operationalization of Safeguard Requirements to Obtain RBF from Sustainable National REDD+ Policies project;
- Creating economic benefits for smallholder shrimp farmers and businesses, while protecting mangroves in Vietnam as part of our successful Mangroves and Markets project;
- Learn how we are overcoming barriers to replanting cocoa trees in Ghana as part of the Full Sun to Shaded Cocoa Agro-forestry Systems project;
- Learn more about our approach to creating opportunities for youth employment, while stimulating climate-action;
Join EnDev's side event: Climate change action through decentralized energy solutions – local, people-centric and renewable”
The side event discusses the potential of decentralized renewable energy solutions for climate mitigation policies and universal access to energy. For international climate policy to succeed, low carbon development strategies must become more decentralized, inclusive and people oriented, addressing the needs of the 1.1 billion people lacking access to electricity..
The panelists will discuss ideas and concepts of decentralized energy solutions and how to capitalize on these concepts for the global climate action agenda (GCAA).
When and where?
This event will take place in the Bonn zone, Delegation Pavilion Germany B.03, Side Event Room (accreditation needed) on Saturday, 11th November 2017 at 4:30 hrs.
Meet the Panellists
- Ms. Ingrid-Gabriela Hoven, Director-General of the Department for Global Issues – Sector Policies and Programmes of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development
- Dr. Nurul Quadir, Additional Secretary of the Ministry of Environment and Forests Government of Bangladesh
- Mr. Rohit Khanna, Programme Manager of the Energy Sector Management Assistance Programme (ESMAP) at the World Bank
- Mr. Roelof Buffinga, Head of Climate Change Team, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Government of the Netherlands
- Ms. Katharina Habersbrunner, Head of Sustainable Energy and Climate Solutions at Women Engage for a Common Future (WECF)
Find the corresponding news article on EnDev's website, and the official announcement.
Please note: as the side event takes place within the Bonn zone, all visitors need an accreditation for entering the venue kindly RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
Join the COP23 conversation!
Join the online conversation! Make sure to use @SNV_RE, @SNVWorld, #COP23, #Renewables4Climate and #ClimateAction when tweeting or posting.