An online knowledge portal has been created to support oil palm smallholders in transitioning to sustainable production systems.
The yields of oil palm smallholders in Indonesia are on average 35 percent lower than those on private sector plantations. SNV and Wageningen University have developed a training programme for oil palm smallholders, which is being implemented in South Sumatra and Kalimantan, Indonesia. The trainings focus on strengthening smallholder knowledge and capacity to increase yields in existing plantations, while minimizing deforestation and other environmental impacts.
To encourage the uptake of sustainable production practices in the wider sector, beyond the scope of the project areas, SNV collaborated with Akvo to collate all the information from the training manuals into an online, open source, knowledge portal. This effort is led by SNV’s Berbak Green Prosperity Partnership.
The sustainable oil palm farming portal is intended as a knowledge resource for NGOs, extension workers, trainers, companies, smallholder organisations, farmers and other actors interested in enhancing the productivity of smallholder oil palm production systems in a sustainable way.
The portal contains information and guidance on the following topics:
- Planting material: Evaluating planting material and performing seed selection.
- Harvesting, grading, transport: Ensuring that the palm oil fresh fruit bunches are harvested at the right time and arrive at the mill in optimal condition.
- Plantation maintenance: Managing the plantation effectively, efficiently and sustainably.
- Fertiliser application: Applying the right type and amount of fertiliser to ensure optimal yields with minimal damage to the environment.
- Pests and diseases: Identifying pests and diseases in the plantation and dealing with them effectively.
The training materials on the portal are in line with the guidelines of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO). Adoption of these guidelines is a first step towards certification and facilitates smallholders’ inclusion into sustainable palm oil supply chains.
SNV’s sustainable oil palm farming knowledge portal can be accessed here.